Friday, March 18, 2011

Autism - Why My Autistic Son Is More Intelligent Than I Am

One of the biggest problems for people with disabilities, particularly those with learning disabilities such as autism is the limited opportunity for social inclusion. People do not always appreciate how powerful they are and despite autism I always knew my son was very intelligent. Last night showed that.

I decided that it should be the age of eighteen years my son to do "out there", things that his colleagues might well last night I had with the local BadmintonClub

I was a bit 'anxious, because there are clubs and there are "club" - you know, that if members are cliquey places seriously competitive and never seem to have fun, provided you do not win.

My son does not understand the competition. Neither he understands the rules of badminton, a goal that is, how to stand on which side of the field or when. He knows exactly where it is a flying side of the net, usually more on the right side, hisOpponents faces and turn the flywheel to beat each other.

This usually does not require a lot of movement - has at least in his name, because it's very good eye / hand coordination, and long arms, it was so last night a whole new experience for him.

It 'started well enough. The club was more of a social enterprise, and everyone seemed very friendly and welcoming. I told whoever would listen about his autism, and that he does not really talk. I do not haveI want them to think that was rude when he ignored their attempts at conversation.

There were five dishes, four players in each game and a few others in the wings ready when the opportunity arises. We knocked on the court almost immediately and our first partner, a male and a female just us. This was in order because, in addition to four players instead of two, Jodi was the one that was used.

The second "Match" was a bit 'more lively. Another male and femalePartner with us but this is obviously a bit 'more serious and wanted a real game was to play.

I explained to Jodi partner as he hit the fly, did not understand the rules or the idea was to win. Since I do not feel I had no chance on the winning side I asked if he would like me to play with my son.

He assured me it was okay and we would just play and see how it turned out.
It 'a good start but then I'm really confused because JodiIt should be remembered when they use or exchange. This, of course, your partner must also exchange.

The first few acts were good, although to be taken in the face with an acceleration of spring ball, but soon lost it. As soon as he approached the spot where his companion told him to stay, as he had to move again. When he tried to sweetness, which needed to be detailed, he beat her and beat her on the arm.

He's a great guy and very strong. I feltmortified. I rushed around the net to him apologising profusely to his partner as I went just in time to stop him from tipping the whole net over.

He was not impressed and I had visions of us being banished before we'd ever really got started. However, he soon calmed down and stroked his partner's arm saying "Sorry".

She was just wonderful and despite the huge red handprint on her arm kept reassuring me it was alright. It appears she worked in the "community", whatever that means. I just know I was extremely grateful for her understanding.

After that we played three more matches but no-one asked or expected Jodi to swap sides so I guess word must have got round.

I did suggest to him at one stage that he should "move his feet" and he responded immediately with a shoe shuffle the like of which the penguin in Happy Feet would have been proud. It wasn't quite what I'd had in mind though.

Still, everyone was very impressed with Jodi and whilst he didn't physically move around the court very much, he rarely ever missed a shot. He didn't even appear to be watching the game either. He'd just raise his racquet and swing.

Often he casually had one hand on his hip as if to say "Why am I waiting?" or his finger in his right ear to shut out the noise echoing around the high ceiling sports hall, which did make things a bit awkward since he is right handed. Still it didn't appear to affect his ability to connect to the flying plastic Rocket.

A player who hit me some earplugs for him to wear to avoid the noise and I can only do so if we knew the next week. Yes, we called to get rid of!

So now I suppose you want to know why I think my son was very smart last night, right? Well, this morning I can hardly move. Everything around and share what the pages that have great and my body hurts in places I did not even know I had taken muscles.

Jodi is as fresh as a daisy - Guess Whothe smart one?

No comments:

Post a Comment